- Research Professor of Practical Theology
Brief Academic and Professional History
BA, Gustavus Adolphus College; BD, Augustana Seminary (now The Lutheran School of Theology in Chicago; PhD, Drew University. Professorships in pastoral theology and pastoral care—Princeton Theological Seminary, Wartburg Theological Seminary, Catholic Theological Union; Visiting Professorships—Seattle University School of Theology and Ministry, Yale Divinity School. PLTS, 2005–
Select Special Service
Editorial boards of several pastoral care journals; Chair, ELCA Task Force for Social Statement, “Health, Healing, and Health Care”; ELCA 2005 Hein-Fry Lecturer; Editor, Reflective Practice: Formation and Supervision in Practice.
- Faith’s Wisdom for Daily Living, with Bonnie Miller-McLemore. Augsburg-Fortress, 2008.
- Mutuality Matters: Family, Faith, and Just Love, ed. with Edward Foley, Bonnie Miller-McLemore, and Robert Schreiter. Rowland & Littlefield, 2004.
- Jacob’s Shadow: Christian Perspectives on Masculinity. Bridge Resources, 2002.
- The Family Handbook, with Don Browning, Ian Evison, and Mary Stuart van Leeuwen. Westminster/John Knox, 1998.
- Mighty Stories, Dangerous Rituals: Weaving the Human and the Divine, with Edward Foley. Jossey-Bass, 1998.
- Promising Again with David Hogue and Marie McCarthy, S.P. Westminster/John Knox, 1995.
- Regarding Children: A New Perspective for Childhood and Families, with Susan D.W. Johnson. Westminster/John Knox, 1994.
- Becoming Married, with Robert Cotton Fite. Westminster/John Knox, 1993. (Translated into Korean)
- Leaving Home, with Kenneth R. Mitchell. Westminster/John Knox, 1993.